I finished reading “You(2),” by Price Pritchett, Ph.D. this weekend. The book is a condensed and simple formula for dramatically improving one’s personal effectiveness so one can go beyond incremental progress and take quantum leaps forward. It is compelling and pushes one to think outside of the habits we embed in our brains, as well as the structure and processes we believe are essential for success.
Books like this often get labeled as “self-help” or “self-improvement,” which used to have a sort of stigma. I’ve always considered self-improvement to be just another term for learning. Not to get side-tracked, but if I could create a whole new educational system, I think I would fill it with books from people like Tony Robbins, Bruce Schneider, and Charles Duhigg. “Awaken the Giant Within,” really started my awareness into habits and what it really means to make decisions. Other books like Energy Leadership and The Power of Habit, also have helped improve how I think and engage with others. Of course, those who know me well know of my love for futurist Alvin Toffler, whose book “The Third Wave” should be mandatory reading in every high school and university in America – you will completely rethink how you view the world around you.
You2 (or You Squared) is too easy of a read to ignore. So, for my readers, LinkedIn connections and others, here is my simplistic interpretation of the key steps and messages in the book:
Determine Your End Point
- What is the outcome you seek?
- What is the crystal clear picture of what you want to accomplish?
- Where do you want to be? Where do you want to end up?
Start the Pursuit
- There is dreaming. Then there is pursuing your dream.
- Thinking positively is not a replacement for positive action.
- Do not confuse wishing and wanting with pursuing. You need to take action.
- You need to decide to take a quantum leap forward.
Taking A Quantum Leap Is Done Without A Plan or Order
- You must allow disorder in your life if you want to take a quantum leap forward.
- Leaping means you draw the map as you go.
- You squared is achieved through an intuitive, instinctive discovery process based on a sense of direction and pursuit.
- A quantum leap is like flipping on a light switch… You don’t need to know or understand all the steps that make it work – you just flood the room with light.
- Preparation is a stall. Preparing or mapping out the steps is procrastination.
- Make your move before you’re ready.
- You don’t “forever” get ready to make a leap forward.
Continue the Pursuit – Don’t Stop!
- You’re not supposed to be concerned about the middle of the jump… only think about where you are landing.
- You will lose support as you leap. You will face criticism. You will feel anxious.
- You get tired after you run. Your muscles ache after you workout at the gym. When you reduce calories or change your diet, you feel hungry and want to return to bad habits. All of these things happen because you are improving.
Notes / Thoughts To Consider
- Resources do exist as you leap. Do not think resources or skills or talents don’t exist. Absence of evidence is not evidence of their absence.
- Take the leap. Allow what exists to materialize along the way.
- Don’t allow stress to cause you to back off.
- Don’t allow fear of the unknown to drive you back to your comfort zone and less success than you want to achieve.
- Learn from mistakes, but don’t let the fear of making a mistake stop you.
- PASSION is important. You must believe and have passion to succeed.
Note: The book is only 36 pages long and it is not expensive, so I highly recommend you grab a copy. Here is a link to buy “You 2 – A High Velocity Formula for Multiplying Your Personal Effectiveness in Quantum Leaps,” at Amazon.com. I do not receive a referral or fee for providing this link.